What is Anthocyanins ?
Anthocyanins which is a water-soluble natural pigment widely found in plants in nature. Most of the main coloring substances in fruits, vegetables, and flowers are related to it. The main function is to relieve eye fatigue and accelerate the speed of vitamin A synthesis of rhodopsin on the retina. Its ability to scavenge free radicals and anti-oxidation is far less than that of OPC,
Under different pH conditions of plant cell vacuoles, anthocyanins make petals show colorful colors. There are more than 20 kinds of anthocyanins, of which 6 are important in food, namely Pelargonidin,Cyanidin,Delphindin,Peonidin,Petunidin,Malvidin.
The natural anthocyanins exist in the form of glycosides, called anthocyanins, and there are few free anthocyanins. Anthocyanins are mainly used in food coloring, but also in dyes, medicine, cosmetics, etc.
Without a doubt, berries are the best source of anthocyanins. There are also many different options to choose from. As a general rule, the darker the better. This means black raspberries will offer more anthocyanins than regular raspberries and so on.
The most prominent examples are the following.
Blackberries. With their dark coloring, it’s hardly surprising that blackberries are a powerful anthocyanin source.
Blackcurrants. Blackcurrants may be less common but they’re an especially potent source of anthocyanins.
Blueberries. These are associated with many health benefits and offer a high concentration of anthocyanins.
Cranberries. As their coloring is lighter, the anthocyanin content will be lower for cranberries. They’re still a good source though and offer other benefits.
Raspberries. Like with cranberries, raspberries aren’t as powerful for anthocyanins. But, they do contain a decent amount and offer other beneficial compounds as well
Black raspberries. These are much less common, but they have more anthocyanins than regular raspberries. Their flavor is interesting as well.
Cherries. Anthocyanins are present in all types of cherries. But they’re more prevalent in tart cherries. Tart cherries also offer other benefits, such as being powerful for reducing inflammation.
Other berries will contain anthocyanins as well. This includes the ones that are common, along with more obscure options. The site Serious Eats has a list of some of these.
In terms of efficacy, it can have the following
1. Protect the blood circulatory system of the human body through three ways: remove the oxygen free radicals in the blood; help the body prevent the generation of oxygen free radicals; enhance the integrity of the blood vessel wall.
2. Inhibit the degradation of connective tissue by collagenase and elastase, thus helping to maintain the elasticity of the skin and exert its anti-aging effect.
3. It can enhance the microcirculation of the retinal capillaries in the fundus and the capillaries in the extremities.
4. By maintaining the health of blood vessels and improving microcirculation, various organs and tissues can obtain a sufficient blood supply.
5. It can enhance immune function. Proanthocyanidins can improve the immune response ability of mice fed alcohol and mice infected with retrovirus.
6. Proanthocyanidins can also enhance the efficacy of vitamin C and prolong the time for vitamin C to take effect in the human body.
7. The solubility of proanthocyanidins in water is very good, and it is well absorbed after oral administration. It enters the human body to take effect quickly and lasts for a long time.
8. The results of various animal experiments and experimental system studies have proved that proanthocyanidins are not-toxic, mutagenic, not carcinogenic, not-allergenic, so procyanidins are safe.